Sunday, January 20, 2008

Giving

I love how things just seem to line up. I was feeling a need to work on a charity project, and before sitting down with my sticks and string, I decided to visit some of my favorite artists' blogs. This was everywhere (see sidebar). Update 2/1/08: The contest ended yesterday, so I have removed the button from the sidebar, but please do visit Bernie's blog.

So, if you're an animal lover, check out Bernie Berlin's blog A Place to Bark (and Meow), watch the video, read her story, and maybe help her out by making a $10 donation to the Network for Good.

This past week, I finally cast on for the first charity project of the year. It's a baby sweater, made from Paton's Classic Wool, destined for Afghans for Afghans. The pattern was designed by Beth Epperson and appears in the book, "The Portable Crafter: Knitting". I meant to take more "in progress" pictures, but it is such a quick knit that I am nearly finished!

I love to make baby items. They're small and cute and they make everyone who sees them go, "Aw."

To know that a new life will be wearing something that I made is a precious gift to me. As I work on this little sweater, I know that it will soon be keeping a baby warm. And that makes me feel good. And he will be able to sense the love that went into its creation. Perhaps a hat and some tiny little mits as well . . .

No comments: